Tony Dominello on Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:15:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Newbie Questions

Nicolai Rosen wrote:

> I wasn't going to say anything to avoid starting a flame war *sigh*, but
> I've noticed a fairly large number of questions that should not have to
> have been asked to such a large number of people. If you're having a
> problem, then please first check man pages, try command --help, read
> howtos, and use www.google.com/linux and the program's web site to see if
> your answer can be found before you send e-mail to a few dozen people.

<CLUE>
Sometimes even a seasoned man/HOWTO/helpfile reader cannot seem to fine the right
answer.  Sometimes knowing what question to ask is a question in itself.  Sometimes
*which* HOWTO, etc. applies to a given situation is not readily apparent to newbies-- or
even not-so-newbies.  Let's face it-- navigating all the various help files to gather
information about a specific problem is a talent.

Once found, a given document isn't always helpful.  Well-organized and well-written
documentation is rare in any sector.

I feel bad for any newbie who might have read your message as maybe one of the first
things s/he saw on this mailing list.  You seem to be saying "Don't bother us with stupid
questions-- it's all documented.  Somewhere."

Part of the mission of any LUG is to dialog with newbies and bring them into the fold.
Newbies do, by nature, ask questions that seem-- to more enlightened members like you--
to be rather obvious.
</CLUE>

Respectfully Submitted,

Tony