Michael C. Toren on Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:25:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux 2.2 Firewall

> internal is your private, 192.168.1.2 address. But we do NAT (MASQ'ing, in
> Linux-speak), tho, which may make it different than just forwarding..

IP Masquerading isn't exactly the same thing as NAT; true NAT has some
very cool additional features.  For instance, say I have a customer who
is moving from one subnet to another.  If I install a NAT box, I can then
setup a one-to-one mapping for every IP address in the old block to every
IP address in the new block.

As far as I know, Linux NAT is still being worked out.  Maybe we'll see
it in 2.4.

-mct