Michael C. Toren on Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:55:41 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Re: Dual-homed System

> Okay, I've solved part of my problem.  It appears that the problem was
> related to the IRQ of the second NIC.  I've installed a different type of
> NIC in place of the second 3c905B (an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100) and
> adjusted the IRQ for the NIC (it appears that the NIC drivers can/will not
> recognize a NIC on IRQ 9).  The interface works like a champ now.
>
> Unfortunately, the system still isn't routing requests between the two
> subnets.  From the 192.168.1.128 network (eth1), I can ping both
> 192.168.1.129 and 192.168.1.2, but I can't ping anything in the
> 192.168.1.0 network (eth0).
>
> IPv4 forwarding *is* on.  Firewalling is turned off.  From what I've been
> able to read in HOWTOs, I've done everything I need to in order to get
> packets to route from one subnet to the next.  I'm at a complete loss
> here.

Are you doing anything with masquerading yet, or are you just trying to
ping a box on one side of the ethernet from a box on the other side?  Can
you see both machines, on each ethernet segment, in the arp -n output?

If you cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward, does it return true?  What about
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/forwarding?

You might also want to try echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter,
to turn off return path verification, although it's unlikely that's what's
causing you trouble.

-mct