Michael W. Ryan on Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Re: Dual-homed System

ARGH!!  I'm such an idiot!

My system was actually working just fine.  The problem was that the
computer I was pinging had no idea how to get the packets back to the
originating system.  I discovered this by trying to ping from the other
side (the target system had it's gateway set to our router, not back to
the firewall -- DUH).

This makes sense now, and when I munge the target system's IP
configuration to use the firewall's external interface as its gateway,
two-way communication is possible.

Now, the only thing that I'm fuzzy on is whether or not our router will
be able to figure out all this.  Basically, we'll be taking our
192.168.1.0/24 network and divide into a 192.168.1.0/25 and a
192.168.1.128/25 networks with the router in the former network, and the
rest of our network being in the latter.  This question is due mainly to
my ignorance on how routers work. :)

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.