Michael Leone on Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:08:19 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Job ad

> 2) while linux may be your preferred OS, implementing it at this company
> seems like a bad idea -- its hard enough to find people to support linux
> as it is, one day you wont be there and this company is going to be
> screwed.

Not the first time I've heard IT managers say this.

> 3) operating systems are poor excuses for firewalls and routers in
> corporate/production enviroments!

Why? I use linux at home with a DSL line; every scan I've run on it (i.e.,
nmap, Steve Gibson's ShieldsUp!, the HackerWhacker sites, etc) all list me
as "STEALTH"; very secure; etc. While using an appliance-type
firewall/router (such as a Cisco product) can be easier (less configuration
issues), if you can accomplish the same thing at less cost, why not?

(Yes, this presumes knowledge of linux, which ties into #2 above)