Joseph B. Welsh on Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:11:21 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] New Netscape 6.0

Wanted to drop in and give  some general info I discovered this week.

1.) Downloaded and installed a copy on the newest Linux-Mandrake Distro (7.1).  it correctly identified and installed drivers for my notebook. (execpt the built in Winmodem, of course.)

   Compaq Aramada E500
   128 Mb ram
   ATI rage mobilty pro-p 8Mb
   3Com  3CCfe575ct pcmcia card
   ESS Maestro 2 sound chip

I was also successful using the Included XFree86 4.0 server, but still liked my commercial XIG driver.

I dual boot this setup with Windows 2000 for DVD and Vpn software that is not available for Linux (yet!)

Only problem I found was the included version of Netscape 4.72.  After it would run for about 10 minutes my cpu load would jump to 100% and stay there, closing Netscape had no effect.  I looked at the processes (sp?) and found that a  library was the culprit (ld-linux.so.2). Killing that that process brought it back to normal.

Checking usenet I found out that the version of rpm packaged Netscape used a libc5 library and that I should go and download the Linux 2.2 version.  I did this and installed it, which solved my problem.  I also downloaded the Beta version of Netscape 6, which I also installed, dosn't seem to confilict with other version.

Although it's beta, it looks real nice, with better font support and graphics.  It also seems to be faster.  It's got the new AOL look about it, butIi can live with it.

Just wanted to give anybody who was intrested in such things a head up.

Regards
Joe W

--
Joseph B. Welsh
PC/Server/Network Systems Conseco Direct Life Insurance