Eric Cunningham on Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:29:36 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] mirroring debian

Hey all,

I'm trying to mirror a local copy of debian for multiple ftp installs
and was wondering what people's opinions were on which directories to
include.  They need to be production quality and stable but with all of
the security fixes.  If I understand this correctly, potato has the
fixes and enhancements but is still under development, hence called
unstable.  Slink is stable but lacks the fixes.  So which is the better
of the two for a robust router/firewall?  Is a combination of the two
feasible and for which parts?

Also, if these boxes are not intended to do development work, is it safe
to exclude all of the "devel" directories or does this run me into
problems with lack of compilers, libraries, etc?

On the ISP topic, I've been very happy with DCA.net.  Bell Atlantic has
been treacherous.  Not that anyone cares, but Stargate Industries does
an excellent job in Pittsburgh.

-eric