darxus on Sun, 25 Jun 2000 11:34:37 -0400 (EDT)

list politics (Re: [PLUG] Help for Start up with CGI for forms (fwd))

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Nicolai Rosen wrote:

> I don't think that this guy realized he was posting to a closed list that
> he had just unsubscribed from. I for one would love to see him follow

Actually, he couldn't figure out how to unsubscribe -- the reason the post
failed was that he sent it from a different address than he was subscribed
from.  He asked me to remove him.  I have.

Last time I looked at list memebership (a week ago?), it was around 274.
It's now at 283.

I think we really need to have a faq.. something to tell people "read this
before you post to the list to reduce your chances of pissing people off,
and increase your chances of getting a helpful response".

Nick, since you've been so vocale on these matters lately, I suggest you
write it.

But I don't think things like CGI, Java, etc., are particularly bad topics
for this list -- languages that are commonly used under Linux, since I
believe we, as a group, have a fair amount of interest in programming,
because most of the related software we use was written by the linux
community.  Although, when soliciting for help/employees, it would be nice
to specifically mention linux, unix, or open source.

I've noticed a number of times on mailing lists, a person will feel like
they're being attacked by the entire list.. when it's only one or 2
people.  For example, people taking Nick's reactions as representative of
the entire list.  That whole.. "vocal minority" thing.

I mean... somebody unsubscribbed from this list because of the feelings of
one person, who accounts for a whole 0.35% of this list.  That
seems... goofy.

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
                      -< www.ChaosReigns.com >-