Tony Dominello on Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:38:42 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Necessary Bureaucracy?

I was listening to PC Talk today on my way to MicroCenter when Rich
Levin was listing user groups in the area.  Sadly, we weren't mentioned.

I visited the show's site and there were two pages of user groups,
neither of which we were on.

This hurt a little bit since, it seems, the only way newbies can find us
is if they stumble on us via Linux.org or some such.  Even more
depressing is how our plans for an installfest died a quiet death due, I
believe, to a lack of coordination and focus (certainly not a lack of
willingness I'm sure).

So here's my point.  Perhaps we are getting large enough as an
organization to benefit from a designated PR person.  Someone whose job
it is (under the auspices of the Group) to make sure we're listed where
we should be, mentioned where we should be, and coordinate external
things like installfests and such.

Maybe we should spend some quality time talking about it, either on list
or in the meeting.  I...uh...guess I'm also nominating myself (can I do
that?) for the job.  I'm certainly willing-- but I need a mandate from
the group (not to mention support) in order to get anything
accomplished.  And I guess I'm asking-- is this what we want?  I've only
been to two meetings but I think we have a group with an enviable level
of activity and participation, both in meetings and on the list.

Oh, and I took the liberty of sending Rich Levin an e-mail with our
basic info, asking him how we get mentioned, just as a first step.  I'll
let you know if I get a response.

"Submitted for your approval"
            -Rod Serling