William H. Magill on Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:46:43 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] Bell atlantic just reduced their prices on DSL

>  >Since I'm (pardon the pun) window-shopping for DSL right now, I was
>  wondering if they still use PPPoE and only give dynamic addresses.
>
>  >Yes, as far as I know still dynamic address and PPPoE, although others have
>  posted over the past few weeks that BA had intentions of changing that. But
>  I didn't see any guarantees.

Hmmm... it depends.

Bell Atlantic's traiffed Infospeed service is NOT Bell Atlantic.Net the ISP.

Bell Atlantic.Net is still doing PPPoE, but Bell Atlantic's Tarrifed
Infospeed service has always depended upon the ISP's requirements.

I have Bell Atlantic Infospeed Tarrifed service with DCA.net as my ISP.
And I have static IP addresses, etc.

This announcement is typical Bell Marketing doublespeak

>With speed, a connection of your own, and the ability to surf and talk on
>the same line at the same time, Infospeed DSL from Bell Atlantic Internet
>Solutions makes your Internet experience a great one. And now we've made it
>even better.
>
>As of July 1, the monthly rate for our Personal Infospeed DSL service is
>lowered to just $39.95 - a 20% reduction in price!
>
>The new $39.95 monthly fee includes your Bell Atlantic.net Internet access
>and will automatically appear on your July bill.  You do not have to do a
>thing!

Since the new "$39.95 monthly fee includes your Bell Atlantic.net Internet
access" one assumes that this is a Bell Atlantic.net deal, not a tariffed
Infospeed deal. (I happen to have "Professional Infospeed, so I haven't
gotten anything anyway.)

The interesting thing is that the tariffed Infospeed Web site has been
updated to ELIMINATE mention of any ISP except Bell Atlantic.net.

One wonders if this is the result of Varizon....?

Curioser and curioser.

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/