Nicolai Rosen on Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:10:19 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] ssh

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Flint Heart wrote:
>
> > putty.
> > its a windows ssh client.
> > very cool and very small.
> > I carry a floppy of it with me.
>
> PuTTY is a very good Windows client, but I strongly recommend you read the
> license on the maintainer's web page; there are some patent issues with
> it.

I can just picture it now; I'm sitting at the library. Somebody complains
loudly of not being able to securely check her mail via telnet. I reach
into my pocket and pull out my copy of putty and pop it in the
drive. Slam! My right arm's cuffed, I'm spun around, my face pressed
against the floor. I see out of my one unbloodied eye a swat team converge
upon me with guns drawn.

nah...

Nicolai Rosen, nick@netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

	"Oh, it's true. I know your race. It is made up of sheep. It is governed
by minorities, seldom or never by majorities. It suppresses its feelings and
its beliefs and follows the handful that makes the most noise. Sometimes the
noisy handful is right, sometimes wrong; but no matter, the crowd follows
it. The vast majority of the race, whether savage or civilized, are secretly
kind-hearted, and shrink from inflicting pain; but in the presence of the
aggressive and pitiless minority they don't dare to assert themselves. Think
of it! one kind-hearted creature spies upon another, and sees to it that he
loyally helps in iniquities which revolt both of them. Speaking as an expert,
I /know/ that ninety-nine out of a hundred of your race were strongly
against the killing of witches when that foolishness was first agitated by a
handful of pious lunatics in the long ago. And I know that even to-day,
after ages of transmitted prejudice and silly teaching, only one person in
twenty puts any real heart into the harrying of a witch. And yet apparently
/everybody/ hates witches and wants them killed. Some day a handful will rise
up on the other side and make the most noise -  perhaps even a single daring
man with a big voice and a determined front will do it - and in a week all
the sheep will wheel and follow him, and the witch hunting will come to a
sudden end. In fact this happened within these ten years, in a little country
called New England.
	"Monarchies, aristocracies and religions are all based upon that large
defect in your race - the individual's distrust of his neighbor, and his
desire, for safety's or comfort's sake, to stand well in his neighbor's eyes.
These institutions will always remain, always flourish, and always oppress
you, affront you and degrade you, because you will always be and remain
slaves of minorities. There was never a country where the majority of the
people were in their secret hearts loyal to either of these institutions."
	-_The_Mysterious_Stranger_, Mark Twain