Michael W. Ryan on Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:23:52 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] ssh

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Nicolai Rosen wrote:

> I can just picture it now; I'm sitting at the library. Somebody complains
> loudly of not being able to securely check her mail via telnet. I reach
> into my pocket and pull out my copy of putty and pop it in the
> drive. Slam! My right arm's cuffed, I'm spun around, my face pressed
> against the floor. I see out of my one unbloodied eye a swat team converge
> upon me with guns drawn.

Nick, your "rebel without a clue" attitude is really starting to grate,
and, frankly, I find it bad for Linux and PLUG.  You, in your youthful
foolishness, may not care about legalities, but others do.  The AUTHOR of
PuTTY is very up front about the legal issues of PuTTY.  From
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/:

    PuTTY and PSCP employ RSA public-key encryption without the use of the
    RSAREF library (since it was developed outside the USA). My
    understanding of USA patent law is that non-government use of them
    within the USA infringes RSA Data Security's software patent on the
    RSA algorithm. I understand that this patent will expire in September
    2000.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.