Daniel Ottey on Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:02:18 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] Lilo / 1024 sector problem (dual boot)

Sorry, what I meant to say was that Windows200 Professional (atleast on my
system) doesn't come up with a boot loader menu which lets me select an OS
to go to (which I know was standard in both NT 4.0 server and Workstation).
If there were possibly a way for me to get the menu to appear, then maybe I
could point it to the win9x/ME boot on my second hard drive....

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of Michael W. Ryan
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 4:18 PM
To: plug
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Lilo / 1024 sector problem (dual boot)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Daniel W. Ottey wrote:

> I currently have two hard drives in my computer.  The first is formatted
> NTFS and contains Windows2000 Professional (no boat loader is being used
> from what I can tell).

Yes, there is a boot loader in use; the Windows boot loader.  The Win2k
boot loader works in the same manner as NT4's.  This means that the Win2k
boot loader needs to be the boot loader in charge.

> The second hard drive is formatted Fat32 and
> contains no OS.  I would like to possibly install linux on a part of the
> second hard drive, and would also like to test out a beta copy of
> WindowsME (treat it like Windows98 as far as this discussion is
> concerned).

This may be a false assumption; I don't know, I haven't even looked at
WinME.  There is a HOWTO (or a mini one) on both setting up a WinNT/Linux
dual boot and setting up a WinNT/Win9x/Linux multi-boot (I think).  Treat
Win2k as WinNT.  I don't know if you should treat WinME as WinNT or Win9x.

I would strongly recommend that you take a little time to understand the
WinNT boot process.  Most any book covering WinNT server or workstation
administration should cover it.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.