mg on Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:10:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux Firewalls Talk

I think one issue that would interest a lot of people would be discovering
how to deal with certain applications. Most people know which ports the
big apps use (smtp, http, etc), but let's say your company buys product X
which for some reason will not work through your firewall. The tech
support for product X has no mention of what ports it uses, etc and noone
else seems to know. What do you do? For instance, you might talk about
using tcpdump or some other sniffer to find out just what that app is
doing so you can configure your firewall accordingly.

mg