Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:11:37 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux Firewalls Talk

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Jason Costomiris wrote:

> Are you planning on discussing commercial firewalls that are either
> available for Linux, or are Linux based?  Off the top of my head, I can
> think of:
>
> Check Point FW-1/VPN-1 (4.1 on RHAT 6.1/6.2)
> Intrusion.com's SecureCom Firewalls (RH/FW-1 based appliance)
> Watchguard Firebox
> The box that Axent and Cobalt are working on

I hadn't planned on it, mainly because I don't have any experience with
the commercial firewalls.  The impetus for my talk was the large amount of
discovery that I went through in the process of setting one up.  This
included things like what services you should and shouldn't run on a
firewall system.  There was also the things that a good, restrictive
firewall will break that aren't covered by the books (I've yet to see a
book or HOW-TO cover AIM, ICQ, or this stock market app one of the owner's
uses :).  Basically, there are alot of issues behind setting up a firewall
other than just whether to use a commercial firewall or IPChains.  I was
thinking of addressing these issues.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.