Jeff Dean on Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:51:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Training/Certification Question

There's a lot of activity out there on the Linux cert/training front,
including my two cents.  If it would help, check out:

  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/linux_professional

I'm the author of a series of articles for the O'Reilly network on Linux
certification.  In the RHCE article, I express my opinions (politely, I'm
told) about my experience with the RHCE program.  The LPI is moving rather
slowly, and I'm still waiting for results on the 2nd exam; both exams are
covered on the site.  I've only taken one of the SAIR certs so far (also
covered).  We'll see in the future how these certifications help with career.

I'm nearing the completion of my draft for an LPI level 1 prep book, also
for O'Reilly (due in bookstores Real Soon Now ;-).  There are other books
on LPI level 1 also coming to market soon.

I hope this helps a little.

jd

At 11:04 AM 8/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>I have a general question...Has anyone had any experience with the various
>training/certification options out there? My employer has given me the go
ahead
>to take whatever certification classes and/or tests I want for Linux, but
I was
>curious as to anyones first hand accounts.
>
>I have looked at the different certs, SAIR/GNU, LPI, and RHCE. I was leaning
>towards the RHCE because it seems more fully developed than the others
>at this point. I also liked the fact that the exam for RHCE not only
focuses on
>a regular multiple choice test, but more importantly has two sections
which are
>hands on (setting up a machine, and fixing one that is mis-configured).
>
>This seemed to be a much better method of rewarding actual capability than
>any of the other certifications tests I have taken.
>Any thoughts, opinions, stories, flames are welcome.
>Robert Boerner
>Toyota Motor Sales USA

Jeff Dean
jdean@ieee.org