Chris Beggy on Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:39:18 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Can someone shed some light on this log entry?

Charles Stack wrote:

> Aug 22 17:05:52 bill ipop3d[16281]: connect from 10.0.0.87@
> led
>
> This is an excerpt from one of my log systems log files.  User 10.0.0.87 is
> an authorized user for ipop3d.  What I am interested in is the meaning of
> the @led.  Only entries from this IP address seem to have it.

My logs show results like:

 in.pop3d[29979]: connect from chrisb@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where "chrisb" is the username running the remote mail client, not necessarily
the "identity" or "sender" in the pop script.  The IP address is the remote
IP address.

Maybe your logger just switches the username and IP fields around...

Chris