Mike Leone on Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:58:24 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] September's presentation

From: Bill Jonas <bj@netaxs.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 01:07:30 -0400 (EDT)

>Okay, so you may or may not know that I'm giving the presentation at the
>next PLUG meeting.  I'd like for it to be more than just a
>"let's-watch-Bill-read-us-the-HOWTO-for-90-minutes" kind of talk.

Actually, I'd rather *watch* the presenter going through the HOW-TO, so that I could actually SEE the process, and know when it happened correctly. Seems that anytime I read a HOW-TO, it covers all kinds of situations and configurations - none of which are applicable to me. :-)

So, maybe a short part on "Here's what happens behind the scenes in ext2fs when you delete a file". Then let's delete a couple, and then get them back. Then - maybe - let's try getting back something you know you deleted 2 days before - so we can see how much is possible to get back from a file delted more than 1 minute ago, and what is not possible (yes, I realize that such is thing is only useful for text or HTML files, where recovering even a fragment might be helpful; fragments of binary files are next to useless). And what the "NOT" looks like, so that we can recognize it when it happens to us, the attendees. :-)

--
Michael Leone