Bill Jonas on Sat, 9 Sep 2000 15:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Looking to buy new dual-processor system

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, LeRoy Cressy wrote:

>it, I know that it has the components that fit my needs.  Also, you can
>incorporate Ultra SCSI 2 drives which are very fast.  Also if you get a
>motherboard with onboard SCSI there is a little speed increase for the
>drives than going through a plug in PCI card.

I have to throw in my own couple of cents here.  Consider:  If you have
a separate SCSI card, and the motherboard goes bad, you can yank the
card and the drive and put it in another machine and be back up and
running pronto.  On the other hand, things get more complicated with
on-board SCSI.  If you need to get a box back up in a hurry, you're
S(ore)OL.  (I've got a client's hard drive sitting here on my bookshelf
from such a system... fortunately, the client had a spare box and the
backups (praise Bob) were good.  It was still a few hours getting the
data off the tape, though.)

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/