LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 9 Sep 2000 20:27:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Looking to buy new dual-processor system

I agree with all that was said, but with a total SCSI system what good
is the IDE stuff?  On a high end system is there really a need for the
IDE controller?  As far as Mike said about the PIII requiring the 810
chip set the ASUS P3 boards have the 810 chip set.

The Adaptec 2940u card is a great SCSI card, and I agree that putting
sound and other peripherals on the MB is totally a bad idea.  When
building a system it is vital that you consider what you are going to
use the system for.  Like M. Simons wrote what do you plan to do with a
dual processor system?

The important thing is that you build a system that the MB should last
at least 5 years with upgrades in future processors and perpherials
possible.  Most of the preassembled systems are intentially made with a
MB with everything on it, win modem, sound, lan?, and ide controller.
These systems are designed with a 2 year life span are not upgradable.
Also they only have 1 or 2 PCI ports.  As a linux user I design systems
that will give the customer the best value for the money.  Also it is
wise to keep some spare peripherials around incase something breaks.

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
>
> >it, I know that it has the components that fit my needs.  Also, you can
> >incorporate Ultra SCSI 2 drives which are very fast.  Also if you get a
> >motherboard with onboard SCSI there is a little speed increase for the
> >drives than going through a plug in PCI card.
>
> I have to throw in my own couple of cents here.  Consider:  If you have
> a separate SCSI card, and the motherboard goes bad, you can yank the
> card and the drive and put it in another machine and be back up and
> running pronto.  On the other hand, things get more complicated with
> on-board SCSI.  If you need to get a box back up in a hurry, you're
> S(ore)OL.  (I've got a client's hard drive sitting here on my bookshelf
> from such a system... fortunately, the client had a spare box and the
> backups (praise Bob) were good.  It was still a few hours getting the
> data off the tape, though.)
>
> Bill
> --
> >Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
> That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
> (Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
> on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )