Todd Yocum on Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:55:41 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Looking to buy new dual-processor system

Well, I've done alot of reseach on this lately, so I'll
share my results, fwiw.

Here is one dual-CPU system included at the end that I just ordered,
just to give you a ballpark. Can't vouch for these guys yet, but I've
liked what I've seen so far. They are the best bang-for-the-buck I could
find,
barring a self-assembled rig. It's an overclocked rig, if that's your
thang.
Otherwise just go with dual 800's

A few links I found helpful:
www.arstechnica.com - excellent site, check out
         	      their latest diy rigs, the god-box
                      now also uses the MSI D694
www.2cpu.com - all things having to do with 2 cpu's
www.3drage.com - have a recent review of a rig similar to
                 the one below.
www.micropro.com - almost as cheap vendor, don't
                   know how good they are.

You mention multimedia gfx, but I'm not sure what 'multimedia'
means. Straight up fast 3D? Digital Video? Dual display's, etc,
etc? Mine is spec'ed for fastest consumer card for 3D,
with the best OpenGL support, including Linux, imho.

I stayed away from SCSI, mostly for cost, besides, this MB has
2 ATA100 that you could put raid 0 on for just as good performance, and
it has 4 normal IDE also.

RDRAM systems are too expensive, unless you're gonna get it from
DELL or some other favored vendor.  The only other real
choice for a duallie would be a dual BX board, like a
Asus P2B-D or Supermicro P6DBE.

I haven't verified linux compatibility for all the parts,
but I'm pretty sure it is, it better be, I'm gonna turn
it into a dual-boot. : )

					Good hunting.