LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 9 Sep 2000 13:46:25 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Looking to buy new dual-processor system

Dual processor boards:

For the 1GHz Athelon chips there are not any motherboards that I know of
that support the athelon either in the slot 1 or socket A
configuration.  It would be nice if there was a main board manyfacturer
that would create a board with dual processing support for the athelon.
Now Intel does not have the speed of the AMD Athelon, but there is
strong dual processor mother board support for the Intel line.  I prefer
ASUS boards and the  P3C-D Asus board looks nice.  (I only wish that
ASUS would make a MB that has support for 133MHz FSB that incorporates
both dual processor and Ultra 2 SCSI like their P2B-DS board.)

http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P3c-d/feature.html

I also prefer the SuperMicro line of full tower cases.  They cost a
little more, but they have good power supplies.

As far as I'm concerned I would rather build a system than buy a ready
built one off of the shelf.  Especially for a high end box!  If I build
it, I know that it has the components that fit my needs.  Also, you can
incorporate Ultra SCSI 2 drives which are very fast.  Also if you get a
motherboard with onboard SCSI there is a little speed increase for the
drives than going through a plug in PCI card.

Chad Glynn wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>         I'm looking to buy a new system, running linux of course, and I am
> looking either a dealer that can give me the best out there, or advice as
> to what I can get. I'm looking to buy a dual-processing powerhouse.
>
>         Last system I bought was about a year ago, a dual-processor as
> well running linux. I built this system myself but I had spent a lot of
> time learning the new technology out there and what was compatible with
> linux because I don't keep up with that as much as I would like to.
>
>         I looked at VA linux because my company buys quite a bit from
> them, and a few dealers listed on price watchs, but the most they offered
> for dual-processing was 800mhz, if they offered dual-processing at all.
> One place that did offer a dual-processing system had a dual 550mhz
> for $1,800.00 I thought it was quite a ripp-off because I built a system
> at the same speed with *more* faetures for $1,200, and that was a year
> ago.
>
>         So, I'm wondering if anyone here on the list knows of a good
> dealer that could offer the best, and *knows* what is linux compatible.
> Or, better yet, if anyone can offer me advice as to what the the latest
> stuff out there that is compatible for linux, as well as what motherboard
> have the latest dual-proccessing abilities. I'm looking to get the fastest
> daul-processing out there (1ghz cpus?), as well as a great gfx card so
> that I can play some multimedia stuff on.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>                         Chad :)

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )