Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] secure tcp/ip communication

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 08:37:02PM -0700, shux@subculture.org wrote:

> I will soon be writing a few applications that will need to make use
> of tcp/ip (using the sockets API). However, because the project
> involves remote administration and access privelages, it is important
> that I use a secure connection, so that passwords or other information
> can't be sniffed.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using encrypted tcp/ip tunnels?
> Should I just encrypt the data I will be sending using send() and
> decrypt it after it is received by recv()? I looked on fm.net and
> found a library called libmcrypt. I have not yet looked at its
> documentation. Also a quick search with apt-cache gives me packages
> like tunnelv, stunnel, and sslwrap? Has anyone on this list used any
> of these tools?

Look at ssh. It is not only a secure tunnel to replace rlogin/telnet
and ftp, but can securely forward a local port to a remote host.

For example, I do uucp over ssh over my dsl connection. I have uucico
on my machine connect to localhost:540 instead of remote:540. But
first I tell ssh to forward localhost:540 to remote:540. Of course,
remote thinks the connection is coming from remote:xxxxx, a high port
on that machine. But if you trust security on remote, then you can
allow that without worrying.

>From a software engineering perspective, it is generally better to
separate different pieces of a project when you can. In general,
prefer to write software that knows how to do one thing well and
integrate with other modules that do their one thing well.

> p.s. (should I have vi wordwrap for me? Does it bother you guys?)

Yes.

--
 Jeff Abrahamson
 610/270-4845