shux on Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:39:11 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] secure tcp/ip communication

I will soon be writing a few applications that will need to make use of tcp/ip (using the sockets API). However, because the project involves remote administration and access privelages, it is important that I use a secure connection, so that passwords or other information can't be sniffed.

Does anyone have any experience using encrypted tcp/ip tunnels? Should I just encrypt the data I will be sending using send() and decrypt it after it is received by recv()? I looked on fm.net and found a library called libmcrypt. I have not yet looked at its documentation. Also a quick search with apt-cache gives me packages like tunnelv, stunnel, and sslwrap? Has anyone on this list used any of these tools?

Thank You,
Xtian Betz

shux@subculture.org | aim: shuxlos

p.s. (should I have vi wordwrap for me? Does it bother you guys?)