Bill Jonas on Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:18:56 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] More on undeletion

I was installing Debian on a little Sparc IPC that I have, when I was
reminded of my undeletion talk from the other night.  I'm not sure about
other distributions, but Debian tends to be conservative, so this may or
may not apply to everybody.

When you're initially installing Debian, it will ask you if you want to
use Linux 2.2-specific features, or retain compatibility with 2.0 and
earlier.  The default is to retain compatibility.  I believe that these
features make undeletion (should you ever need to do it) easier (the man
page for mke2fs(8) (search for "-O") wasn't entirely clear to me if it
was talking about the same thing that the Ext2-Undeletion-mini-HOWTO
was, or not).  Regardless, the features look really nifty, so unless
you need to access that filesystem with a 2.0 (or =< 2.1.x, for some
value of x), then I propose that this is one Debian default that you
should override.

If you have an ext2 filesystem that was created (for use) by a pre-2.2
kernel, then you can use tune2fs(8) to adjust these parameters (and
others, such as the reserved-blocks-percentage) on your unmounted (or
possibly read-only-mounted) filesystem.

I'll be adding a bit about this to the paper I have at
<http://www.billjonas.com/papers/undeletion.html>.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/