William H. Magill on Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:11:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Looking to buy new dual-processor system

>   I agree with all that was said, but with a total SCSI system what good
>   is the IDE stuff?  On a high end system is there really a need for the
>   IDE controller?

Virtually all high end systems (read Alpha, Sun and IBM) seem to use
on-board IDE controllers for the "on-board" CDrom drives.  Probably to keep
the price point down on something that they MUST have, but don't intend to
use for anything except software loads.

It's probably also related to the fact that none of them really want to
support "in the box" SCSI  on anything but a minimal configuration since
they all expect to use massive numbers of external disk drives. [Of course,
now everybody is switching to Fibre Channel anyway.]
--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/