LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:13:22 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Verifying DMI Pool Data

The verifying dmi pool date is the last portion of the bios portion of
the boot process.  This is the portion of the process that checks the
validity of the various drives and etc that the bios detected on your
system.  You mentioned that your one drive is a 15 gig Western Digital
drive.  The drive may be what is causing the system to halt and not even
see the partition table portion of the mbr.  Also the rescue disk looks
for the boot partition and if the system cannot understand the mbr or
the partition scheme your rescue disk will fail.

Sugestions:

the Western Digital site has a bootable program that will setup your
bios to recognize the large drives.
http://www.westerndigital.com/service/
Using this may help.

Also, I think from what you wrote this is a new installation, so
possibly you need to reinstall the entire system.  The first portion of
the install is a small root partition and possibly a small boot
partition, like 64 Meg each (more than the 40 Meg HD my 386 came with).
these will be hda1 and hda2.  hda3 should be a swap partition and hda4
should be an extended partition covering the rest of the drive.  hda5 to
hdaX fills up the extended partition.  I think that you can have up to
hda20, but I don't think that fdisk can handle something that large.

It might help to use cfdisk to set up your linux partitions which is
supposed to be better than fdisk.

Also, on the install from the CD you need to create the MBR.  This is
very important.  If the mbr on the drive is broken or nonexistant
nothing will boot from that drive.  I've actually saw a system that
could boot from a floppy, but there was no MBR on the system.  The drive
happened to be a large WD ide drive

Maybe you could boot from the install CD and run install-mbr or whatever
utility that slackware uses to create the mbr.

I hope that this helps a little

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )