Todd Yocum on Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:50:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Duel Processors Motherboards...

Anthony,

	Not sure if you saw a post I put out earlier,
in case you didn't, I included it at the end of this email.
The dual MB market is finally seeing some new life,
mostly based on the Via133 chipsets.

					Todd

Mike Leone wrote:

> >Hi list!
> Hi!
>
> >I am looking for a machine with a duel processor motherboard.  Possibly for
> >a AMD Athlon.... or a intell P III.
> >I would like the RAM to be upgradable as well.

There are no dual SMP Athlon's MB at this time, although the 760MP
for Athlon is coming in 2-4 months, I think. Rumour has it that
the current Athlon CPU's are dual-capable, so only a MB upgrade
would be required later on.

> >We are going to run Linux on it.. and are thinking of a duel processor
> >machine because of the fact that its easy to upgrade (you just buy another
> >processor:)  The large RAM capacity... for the same reason.
>
> You don't need a dual-processor motherboard to upgrade the CPU. I've upgraded my mobo from a PII-233 to a PII-350 to a current PIII-550.
> You just need a decent mobo, that's all. Something with flash BIOS upgrades, you can can upgrade the BIOS to take advantage of later processors. Mine is an Asus P2B - the BIOS upgrades let me move from a PII to a PIII.

I think Anthony meant that he could easily upgrade to a full dual-CPU
rig later
by adding a second CPU to is dual-capable MB, and for now just get a
single.

							Todd

          Re: [PLUG] Looking to buy new dual-processor system