Beldon Dominello on Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:34:27 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] United Way got you down?

This is the time of year that many companies are bugging those of us who
have the dubious distinction of working for them to contribute to the
United Way.
While I will not comment on some of the well-publicized problems with
UW's financial practices (and whether or not these troubles are truly in
the past), I
would be remiss if I did not remind my fellow Penguinistas that we are
free.  In this case, free to designate our donations to go to any
qualifying
organizations.

This means, oh let's say, the Free Software Foundation, Debian's
Software in the Public Interest, Electronic Freedom Foundation, or or
any other qualifying
organization.

Remember that nearly all 501c(3) organization is eligible to receive
through the united way, and contributors can specify organizations (even
though, as in
my company, the section to do so is the smallest section at the bottom
of the form).

If enough of us who see fit to contribute to our causes through the UW,
it might send some kind message.  More importantly, the convenience of
the UW
payroll deductions system means that some of us who might not contribute
sums of money directly can make a bigger impact (over the course of a
year) than we
might otherwise.