M. Simons on Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:28:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Cable modem in Philly

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Sandhitsu R Das wrote:
> I need some recommendations on Linux-friendly cable modem providers in the
> Philadelphia area. Any pointers ?

Generally with cablemodem, you are stuck with whomever your cable
provider is, and if or if not they have cable modem access in your
area.  Although RCN is making moves to move in to the Philadelphia area
and break Comcast's monopoly --they would probably still have to set up
their own network.. which would take quite a long while. . it's something
to keep your eyes on, to contact the city council, rcn, or whatever about
to help lend support/make it easier for them..

There has also been attempts at trying to get the various companies to
open their cable access to other companies.. but that's probably not going
to happen anytime soon... the only companies that were anywhere close to
pushing this issue, stopped as far as I know -- but I don't really track
this... it is probably something to look into and to write your
congressman about.  Although the key line against opening is "well, these
networks are expensive to build, they need to be able to recoup their
costs, otherwise they wornt get built" @home's contract with comcast is
set to expire sometime soon.. but it will probably be renewed..