Inkdog.com Staff on Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:50:33 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] From schultj@netaxs.com RE The virus thang

Hi, I am at work checking my mail via yahoo so the
list will reject this reply as not coming from my real
address.

You here a lot about how there are little or no linux
viruses.  This is strictly speaking true.

But hey, real world.  Virii live on Samba shares home
directories, ftp directories etc just waiting to
attack a connecting windows machine.

Also, Although they are not, strictly speaking, virii
various ddos attack zombie tools will find there way
onto linux boxes.

What I have used, on both windows and Linux servers
and workstations is Mcafee.  at my previous job I had
3 NT boxes and 5 Linux boxes set up.  And yes, I dis
find virii on word docs on the Linux boxes stored
there via ftp.

Runs every day from a cron entry and emails root
aliased to the sysadmin with the results.  If you want
to protect yourself from possible law suits resulting
from having a machine turned into a ddos zombie this
is a good way to go.  That way even if you do get
compromised, you can say you were taking every
reasonable precaution.

If you like you can forward this to the list since I
cannot.