LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:06:56 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] x install

The new ATI cards are a pain and though Xfree86 ver 4 claims to support
them I have found that using the xserver from SuSe http://www.suse.com
works better.

You need to download from their site the following:

	regframe-0-0.i386.rpm
	xrage-1.3-0.i386.rpm
	xfsetup-3.3.5-1.i386.rpm

The most important one is the xrage package.  If you are using Debian
use the alien package to create a .deb file.  I don't recall if there is
a tarball on the SuSe site.
I don't know what chipset the All in 1 Wonder pro has, but it also might
be a rage chip like the rage pro cards.  Also most of the rage pro cards
come with 16Megs ram.  Plenty for running at 1600x1200. at 32 BPP.
SuperProbe will not work on the Ati Cards as you have discovered.  You
have the option to either use the Suse Xf86setup from Suse or you can
hand edit the XF86Config file as follows:

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "ATI XPERT 128 AGP"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   BoardName       "Unknown"

EndSection

Also you need to edit your Xserver file.  This can either be in
/etc/X11/ or whereever your distribution puts it as follows.  Only the
first 2 lines are read by X  The rest are comments.

/usr/X11R6/bin/XFCom_Rage128
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X
server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody

Also as part of the SuSe Rage xserver there is a Cards.rage128 file that
says the the all in one carde is a rage 128 chip.

"William G. Zappasodi" wrote:

> New ATI Rage fury card.
> SuperProbe found no chipset or memory size.
> Could not get x going.
> I get a black screen.
> I have all the info for my monitor etc.
> Have entered all correct settings.
> Exchanged card for ATI All-in-Wonder-Pro ($60 more)
> SuperProbe found no chipset or memory size. (again)
> Pulled down the xma64.tgz package from Slackware, installed package,
> Did xf86config again.
> same errors.
> Sometimes it doesn't write out the new config file.
> Below see error messages:
> None of the configured devices were detected.
> Fatal server error.
> No screens found.
> X connection to 0:0 broken
> (explicit kill on server shutdown).