William H. Magill on Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:51:00 -0400 (EDT)

6bone - was PPPoE (was RE: [PLUG] DSL, Bell Atlantic, and Me)

>   >   PPPoE has a larger following for the simple reason that it
>   > allows ISP's to control (and more importantly TRACK) actual line
>   > usage.  PPPoE means that the ISP can dynamically drop your connection
>   > (usually when it's idle) and then you need to "redial" when you want
>   > to connect again.   And because they can track your connect time,
>   > they can (potentially!!) bill you per minute!
>
>   PPPoE is evil, indeed.  However, it does have the benefit of allowing ISPs
>   to conserve IP address space.  ARIN (www.arin.net) puts significant
>   pressure on ISPs to conserve address space.

PPoE allows the ISP to terminate DHCP leases. As well as all of the
assorted billing/tracking/security features it provides them. Those are
really the driving forces behind the RBOCs use of PPPoE. It's a commercial
product which has the accounting and billing tools already written!!!

However... Yes, there is some pressure to conserve IP addresses.

SOOOOOO.... Ok Andrew, when are you (dcaNet) going to route IPv6 - native?
I believe that Sprint (claims to) does it now. It would give DCAnet a nice
"value added" when compared to other ISPs.  (You can start issuing IPv6
addresses any time you like.)

I'm already tunneling IPV6 over V4 twixt my Alpha at home and the one in
the office. If I can find time to spit, I'll get around to linking out to
the 6bone one of these days.

Cisco's IOS relase due out any day now, will support it directly, without
patches.  Tru64 Unix is dual Stacked as is the latest version of
Solaris. AIX has it as a separately priced product.

I don't know which versions of Linux have a dual stack.

Tunneling IPv6 through IPv4 is pretty trivial and allows one to play on the
6bone without the benefit of all of the native IPv6 features. But it's a
good start.

There is very strong industry sentiment that native IPv6 will be WIDELY
deployed and in use within 18 months! ... very heavy pressure from both
the wireless-hand held "thingie" folks as well as the US government (both
the Navy and the Army have been turned down by IANNA for recent address
requests), and an assortment of 3rd world countries like China and India.

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/