Daniel G Roberts on Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:07:54 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] PLUG Help needed installing Redhat6.2 on IBM Laptop 600x

Hello All

I am having major woes installing a an xserver on my IBM
600x laptop.
I have installed several dual boot laptops...and even have
this setup on
my 600e..but this 600x IBM Laptop has me very frustrated..

Some details..
I have the ITET47WW 11/30/99 BIOS
I beleive I have disabled quickboot via the bios..

and no matter what I do..I only get at the lilo prompt LI
which means that lilo can't write to the MBR and I can't
seem to get
around that..

Also..when I boot from a floppy...and I launch and
xserver..the resoultion
is WAY OFF ...the Xserver comes back at about 5 times larger
than the
display itself.

I have run Xconfigurator, XF86Setup many many times with all
different
settings...and I still after all this time seem to have no
control
whatsoever over the display..

For the card type I have picked generica SVGA or the
neomagic ..neither
has had any effect

for monitor type I have picked custom @ 60HZ, LCD display
1024x768 and
even lower resolutions..
no matter whhich combination I pick from above or what bit
depth I chose
8,16 or 24..
I still get the huge Xserver..

I woudl very much appreciate any help whatsoever in getting
My IBM600x to
dual boot linux and win98!!

Thanks very much
Dan