Jaiwant Mulik on Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:02:40 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux on a "no-pci slot" machine

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 09:23:01PM -0400, Jaiwant Mulik wrote:
> > It seems that there are boot images that can help you (net install) on a
> > non-PCI machine, but I can't see to find one. Does anyone have a
> > alternative or pointer to where I can find the required boot disk image ?
>
> It depends on which distribution you're trying to install.  Which one
> is it?  It also depends on what kind of networking card(s) you have.
> What kind do you have?  Without that kind of info, only guesses can be

I am trying to install RedHat 6.2 and the NIC is a Intel 303x (old one
with a AUI and coax connector).

> made as to a possible solution.  From your description, it *sounds* like
> you're trying to install Debian (because of the drivers disks -- I could
> be guessing wrongly here).  In that case, you might want to have a look at
> <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-kernel-choice>.

redhat.com says that there are driver disk for such cases and that I
should look at the errata for more images, but there are no image at the
link they provide.

http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-6.2-Manual/ref-guide/ch-driverdisk.html
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/

bye

> --
> Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
> bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin
> http://www.billjonas.com/ |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/

Jaiwant Mulik
Email        : jmulik@unix.temple.edu (preferred), jmulik@acm.org
Home page    : http://unix.temple.edu/~jmulik
Office hours : Mon: 10:30 to 12:30, Wed: 2:40 to 4:40
Location     : Room 1000M, Wachman Hall.
Phones       : (215) 204-3668 (o), (215) 777-4828 (r)