Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:45:57 -0500

Re: [PLUG] word processing / text formatting / typesetting

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 02:50:55PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 12:19 AM -0400 10/29/00, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> >For those of you who write formatted text destined for paper using
> >linux, I'm curious what you've found useful. (I'm playing with
> >different choices of late for myself.)
>
> 	I don't do much writing on Linux, but when I do, I use
> AbiWord.  (probably because I'm part of the development team ;).
>

> >Abiword is still pretty wet behind the ears and has too many bugs for
> >my tastes.
>
> 	What version are you using?  Are you getting RPM's, tarballs or CVS?

Version 0.0, lamely reports abiword --version. I got them from RPM's.

The worst problem was that a line or two from the bottom of the page
of a letter would appear at the top, above the address. Or maybe it
was vice versa, that the top line of the address would appear at the
bottom. Either way, it happened both in display and in print, and was
a deal stopper for me.

I'd like for it to work. It seems promising.

> >I've also considered writing in html, although I'd probably prefer
> >latex if I'm going to give up wysiwyg. (I haven't found any good
> >wysiwyg html editors for linux. Maybe others have?)
>
> 	Don't forget Lyx, the psuedo-wysiwyg editor for LaTeX/Tex.

Soon to be free. That should be worth checking out. (It currently uses
XForms, which is not free.)

--
 Jeff