Bill Jonas on Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:46:40 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] DSL provider speeds

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 04:56:02PM -0500, Adam Preset wrote:
> I'm mulling over switching from cable modem to DSL. Advertising and
> promises from various providers aside, has any DSL user noted what sort
> of practical bandwidth they're getting from their provider?

I've got 1.5Mbit service from Speakeasy.net, and it seems to be pretty
okay.  I have no doubt I'm getting the full amount of bandwidth I'm paying
for, but the throughput can kinda suck sometimes -- I belive the POP is in
NYC, and the provider that they use to outsource doesn't use peering as it
is part of the business model not to peer with anyone (!).  But I got a Rio
MP3 player as part of my deal (come to think of it, the damn thing still
hasn't arrived yet -- I need to call them), and I loved the TAC page during
the install (https://www.speakeasy.net/tac/ -- not as though you'll see
anything without being a member, but it stands for Total Account Control,
and, among other things, will show you your Covad worklog in realtime).

They're very highly regarded on DSLReports(.com).  My verdict is somewhat
mixed.  The install took an ungodly time (though not as long as others I've
heard of), but this was due to the Verizon strike (I ordered July 31st and
got hooked up early October).  They have 24-hour tech support, but the one
time I tried to call very late at night it seemed more like 24-hour
voicemail.  The times I've called during business hours, hold times have
been less than 10 minutes, and I've always found their customer reps to be
very friendly, helpful, and courteous.  (One of them listened patiently to
me rant for several minutes about Verizon after the strike but before my
service was installed.)

Feel free to ask any more questions you might have.

--
Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin