tpanzarella (harley) on Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:10:34 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] two questions (printer and xfree86 4.0) ...

As far as the printer question goes.... I use a Brother HL-1240 with
Linux and it works great.  It prints 12 PPM, and supports HP LJ IIP
emulation (which is the driver I use on my system -- RH6.2).  It was
fairly inexpensive too (for a new 12 ppm laser).  warehouse.com has it
now for $299.95:
http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=PR15455&blind=no&cat=pc
I'm sure you could probably even find it cheaper if you look around
more.

Oh yeah, it does Postscript no problem and it is shared out to both a
Winnt and Mac as well.  Hope this helps.

--tom.

shux@subculture.org wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
> I would like to buy a laser printer that will work well in linux and can print at least 8ppm. Postscript would be preferable, but I don't care as long as I can get a good filter. I need to be printing lots of documentation. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh yeah, I'm looking to spend around $400.
>
> Second, am I crazy, or are the xfree86 4.0 debian (woody) packages now available? I just did 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and what do you know?
>
> Xtian Betz
>
> shux@subculture.org | aim: shuxlos

C-x C-c