Charles Stack on Sun, 5 Nov 2000 08:48:42 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] please vote (OT)

> "There ought to be limits on freedom."  --George W. Bush, 2000

Just a thought.  Clinton vetoed a bill making the disclosure of confidential
information a major crime (like it shouldn't have been already).

Here are two quotes behind his reasoning...

"The legislation might chill legitimate activites that are at the hear of
democracy" -- Pres. Bill Clinton, 2000

and

"As president...it is my responsibility to protect not only our government's
vital information from improper disclosure but also to protect therights of
citizens to receive the information necesarry for democracy to work" --
Pres. Bill Clinton, 2000

Having come from a military background, I've come to realize that
information is made confidental to protect the interests of the United
States, and hence, its citizens as well.  National Security and Democracy
diametrically opposed to each other. National Security requires that secrets
be kept.  Democracy promotes the sharing of information where everyone is,
supposedly, equally informed.

No wonder our secrets keep walking out the door.  Yes...this is the price we
pay for our freedom.  With the Clinton/Gore mentality,  soldiers and
citizens abroad will pay with their lives.

cjs