mina harker on Sun, 5 Nov 2000 15:40:46 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] please vote (OT)

--- Charles Stack <charles@codycomp.com> wrote:

> Clinton vetoed a bill making the disclosure of
> confidential information a major crime (like
> it shouldn't have been already).

Yes.  He said the bill was well intentioned, but flawed.

> Here are two quotes behind his reasoning...
>
> "The legislation might chill legitimate activities that are at the
> heart of democracy"

I believe this.  Is it not proper that _after_ a war/engagement is
over, the people and congress learn what happened and why?  Note that
when I say "after", I mean to exclude any pieces of information that
would jeopardize ongoing or future missions.  In particular, I am
thinking that it is fair and just that Vietnam vets learn the dangers
of previous agent orange exposure -- and that their should be
accountability for weapon sales to dubious powers.

> ... to protect the rights of citizens to receive the
> information necessary for democracy to work"

If some future Nixon declares some future Watergate tapes to be
confidential, would you favor those who uncover them be sent to jail
for bringing light to the matter?

> information is made confidential to protect the interests of the
> United States, and hence, its citizens as well.

There should be full prosecution of intentionally and/or negligently
giving out military secrets.  There is no doubt of that.  My
understanding is that the bill was broader than that and would allow
for prosecution of more broad and less reasonably protected
information.

> National Security and Democracy
> diametrically opposed to each other.

I can't disagree more.  I understand that opening up military secrets
to the public compromises the security of our sons and daughters.  I do
not want nor need to know military secrets.  I don't want news
reporters to discover such secrets and blab then across the airwaves.

At the same time, I absolutely want accountability for misdeeds.  If
the two cross, and whistle blowers come forward at a time when the
information harms National Security, they should be punished.  If a
whistle blower comes forward when National Security is no longer at
issue, but personal egos and an individuals' careers are harmed by the
truth, well in that case, honors should be given.