mina harker on Sun, 5 Nov 2000 14:10:40 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] please vote [OT]

Yes, it is offtopic, but I personally think this is important enough
that all forums should tolerate it for a (very) few days.

To 3rd Party voters in PA: please see voteswap.com (or, more precisely,
the sites listed there).

--- different people wrote:

> > >What do people on this list feel about the recent "revelation"
> > >regarding Bush?

Not news.  A reporter uncovered it.  That is the job of reporters.  It
isn't like the majority party of congress took huge gobs of our tax
dollars to go off on a spurious hunt for wrong doing, and -- finding
nothing relevant -- put Bush in the position of demanding answers to
irrelevant questions that were beyond the legitimate bounds of the
supposed purpose of the investigation.

> > Who cares how or when it was revealed?

I don't think the majority of the voting public cares about the DUI.  I
don't.  I'm a little embarrasses for Bush, and a little annoyed in his
behalf.  I asked coworkers about it, and they all seemed pretty burnt
out on this sort of thing ... but then, a bunch of them said they'd
rather see Clinton have another 4 years than see any of the ballot
choices in office.

> >  This event shows an immense lapse in
> > judgment on Bush's part, and it's a showstopper.

I doubt it.  Bush fans will vote Bush.  I doubt even MAD moms will
change their vote at this point.  If they were going to vote for him
before, they may decide that he is now in an even better moral
position.  If they weren't going to vote his way, this will be more
ammunition to vote against him.

> > Perhaps he should be
> > impeached in Texas now as a liar and admitted drunk driver...

Despite the sarcasm, I hope you realize how this is a different issue.
Clinton should be impeached because he committed perjury.  End story.
But before that, I despise the fact that he was asked the adultery
question.  I am furious at Republicans for side-stepping the point of
the Starr investigation and instead aiming at such a weak, dirty,
little secret.  Still, we CAN'T allow perjury.  If I was supreme ruler
of the planet, I'd have impeached Clinton for lying in court, then
jailed all the people involved in bringing out the Lewinsky matter --
on a charge of theft (from the American tax payers).

> [Bush] never lied.  He never bent the truth.

You're kidding me.  Bush never lied or bent the truth?  I don't even
want to go into all the cases where it's been shown he's done both.
It's just that when BUSH does it, there's a tenancy to say, "Well, he
misremembered" or "He just made a mistake with the details."  When Gore
does it, it's treated as a fabrication.  I still don't understand why
Regan was forgiven for the Arms/Hostages exchange.  Do Americans like
getting our boys killed with weapons WE supplied?

> How about if you want to vote for your long term future by getting
> Nader matching funds?

If you want to get him matching funds, go to voteswap.com, and trade
your Nader vote in Pennsylvania for a Dem. or Rep. vote in a state that
is NOT contested.  Then, vote for whichever of the 2 big players you
favor.  Please, please PLEASE don't vote Nader in a contested state.
In uncontested states, I urge mass Nader voting.

> In twelve years, though, we'll hopefully have strong
> Green and Libertarian parties

Doubtful.  The reason we have 2 parties is because when there are more
than 2, like-minded candidates can end up splitting the majority vote
and getting the person with less favored positions in to office.
Still, it is an admirable ambition.  My only fear is the consequences.

If I might stray from the original subject line: please vote if you've
thought through *why* you're casting a vote.  If not, please stay home.