Beldon Dominello on Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:14:38 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] please vote

Darxus@ChaosReigns.com wrote:

> That's pretty much it.  I think a lot of us have a lot in common.  I
> think, in the long run, we'll all be better off if all of us vote.

I agree with you on the importance of voting-- but I think it's important
even if we don't have a lot in common.  No, wait-- especially if we don't.

The problem, IMO, is that the current crop of presidential hopefulls (and a
lot of the other politicians) are catering to a smaller and smaller
electorate that's beginning to become more and more homogenous.  That's why
the top two presidential candidates look so similar:  They're pandering to
the same group of people with the same basic agenda.

I will vote on Tuesday, even though the person I want as president is not
running.  I want someone with Gore's intelligence, Bush's economic sense,
Nader's integrity, Browne's social agenda, Hagelin's pragmatism and (Reform
Party NJ Senatorial Candidate and Smithereens' frontman Pat) DiNizio's guitar
skills.  I want Mark Twain's insight, Pat Poulsen's dry humor, Jesse
Ventura's forthrightness, Pat Buchanan's sincerity tempered with Bill
Bradley's sanity.

(Dare to dream, Beldon!)

However, realize that <B>it is far more important to have members of congress
from third parties than a president!</B>

Think about it.  If Nader becomes president, he will be an outsider to both
parties in congress.  All they need to do is stonewall all of his proposals,
and then lambast him as the "do-nothing" president four years hence to get
him out.  But, if there were say 10% third party members of congress,
whomever was in power would have to deal with them for very contentious
issues like overriding vetoes and other things which need more than a simple
majority to pass.  Also, the parties' members could form selective coalitions
with one side or the other of the Democrat/Republican aisle to vote with one
on certain issues, and the other on others.  This would provide a small, yet
crucial, congressional swing vote which would have to be accounted for.

Of course, the best result of even a small win like this would be that people
start looking more at third party congressional representatives for both
federal and state legislatures.  Then we'd have real three, four, and
more-way elections which can only be a good thing.

So after I vote (and pray that whomever wins is only lying about the things
that scare me), I have resolved to work harder to help my third-party
candidates (probably the Natural Law Party) win other posts in local, state
and national elections.  I'm even seriously considering running for an office
myself-- even if I have to wear a tie to do so.

Maybe we can form a Hacker's party?  Why not?  Our slogan can be "Saving the
world from point-and-click government"

It's a thought.