Jeff Dean on Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:15:41 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Linux certification

Are you looking for Linux instructors?

jd

At 07:34 AM 11/14/00 +0000, you wrote:
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> If you ignore RHCE, your choices are Sair and LPI.  Both intend to be
> distribution neutral.  Sair has some heavyweights on its advisory board,
> but is a one-stop-shop of exams, training materials, and prep
> materials.  One could argue that this is a conflict of interest.  LPI is a
> non-profit and specifically will not become involved in or endorse specific
> training or materials, and they also have some impressive backers.

So what we have is the LPI; allowing freedom for training centers to develop
their own preparatory courses and course material, major backers in the linux
community and other *nix companies, but with only 2 exams currently available
with the second exam still not finalized.

Then we have the option of Sair; who doesn't allow free-form training but
requires purchase of their proprietary study material/prep materials, however
their exams are through Prometric/Thomson (well known for other
certifications, not to dismiss VUE completely however).

I like the LPI's courseware freedom and their impressive backers, however the
obsticle with their current level of exams can't be dismissed.  Sair, with
it's proprietary materials and relatively low number of major backers makes
me think twice.  I do like that Sair currently has complete tests and their
choice on Prometric/Thomson.

Is there anything else I should be aware of reguarding these two different
certification groups?  Has anyone had any positive or negative experience
with these groups that could be helpful with this decision?  Also, I'm not
yet ruling out RHCE testing, but that's contingent on whether or not we can
be certified with RedHat as one of their testing facilities and how long the
process would take.  Since we are already familiar with Prometric and
currently utilize several of their certification exams, Sair does come out on
top currently, whereas with RedHat or LPI we would need to become an
authorized testing center (does RedHat authorize testing centers?).

> BTW - what suburban college?
Delaware County Community College, Malin road center.

Thanks,
Tim

Jeff Dean
jdean@ieee.org