Inkdog.com Staff on Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:51:04 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] The NIC card blues

Hi list!

    I have a *slight* problem with some what I think are network cards.  I
will relay the information as best I can in hopes that someone can help
shead some light on the situation.

First of all... I am using a very outdated box to do some linux
firewall/router/ipchains junk at my house.  Its a P133... using a 6x CD-ROM
32 megs of ram and a 2 gig HD.   Its got a old video card... a S3 something
or other... that is PCI.

The advantage to this machine is that is has alot of PCI/ISA slots.  So I
need two NIC cards for it... one for the DSL and one for the LAN.  I went to
staples in the area to get some.... I got a netgear card and a linksys or a
intel one... I cant remember which.  Both of which were stated to be
supported by the major linux hardwear sites.. and the distro that I am using
(RH 6.1)
One of these cards came with a distro of linux... I think it was slackwear
or something... so it should work right?

Wrong... it did not work at all.  I tried to recompile the drivers and then
point them to the device... that did not work either...

I tired reinstalling the OS and starting again... that did not work either.

So I figuered I would down grade the cards... and I got some 10 base T ISA 3
COM ones online.  They dont work either!  They power up (the lights go on in
the back of them) but they dont work.

So I figured maybe it was the disk I am using to install... maybe it does
not have something on it that it should.  This was not the case either...

Again... I downloaded updated drivers for these cards.. though since they
were made in 97 and the disk I bought is less then a year old... I still
complied the new drivers and pointed them to the new cards.

Now for some reason... RH will not even show that I have any cards in my box
at all.

So... should I try putting the cards in other machines?  Should I just go
get another box entirely?  Or what?

I am about ready to throw this *&*Y&&JNKNJKH box out the window :P

Any thoughts comments or suggestions would be helpful :)

Thanks

Anthony