Aaron Ross on Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:22:55 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] The NIC card blues

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, you wrote:

> First of all... I am using a very outdated box to do some linux
> firewall/router/ipchains junk at my house.  Its a P133... using a 6x CD-ROM
> 32 megs of ram and a 2 gig HD.   Its got a old video card... a S3 something
> or other... that is PCI.

 I have a very similar setup, actually 2.. one uses a 486 and one uses a P233.

> to staples in the area to get some.... I got a netgear card and a linksys
> or a intel one... I cant remember which.

 I have used all three with no problems. I believe that both the netgear and linksys cards
 use the ne2000 or ne modules. I'm not sure about the intel card.

> So I figuered I would down grade the cards... and I got some 10 base T ISA
> 3 COM ones online.  They dont work either!  They power up (the lights go on
> in the back of them) but they dont work.

hmmm.. i've had pretty good luck with those too, once you find get i/o range and interrupts.

> Now for some reason... RH will not even show that I have any cards in my
> box at all.

don't give up.. something on your machine is very confused. do you see the cards in boot messages?
(dmesg). if you do, post it here and let us take a look. does kudzu kick in at any point?

at this point, i would go back to the pci cards if i were you.  they tend to be much easier to deal with.

can you give us more info on the steps you are trying and the errors you are getting?

Aaron