Kevin Brosius on Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:08:50 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Re: RAM Upgrade problems

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 02:19:19PM -0500, Greg Lopp wrote:
> > I'm almost out of things to try and investigate....does anybody know
> > any good resources for this type of problem?  I'm going to try swaping
> > the slots later, then it's learning the kernel's detection scheme....
> >

> You might also try specifying a meg or so less RAM than what you've
> actually got.  If that doesn't work, you might try booting with FreeDOS or
> something; if it's an option, you might try exchanging the RAM on the off
> chance that it's bad...
>
> --
> Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
> bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin
> http://www.billjonas.com/ |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/

Out of curiosity, what are you using to indicate RAM size?  ie, top,
/proc/meminfo, other?  What distro are you running?

Older versions of top, IIRC, couldn't report more than 64M.  Also, LILO
is at v20 or higher, you mention something like 0.21 (these numbers seem
to be on different versioning systems, so I can't tell what's really
correct)?  I haven't looked at the LILO site (couldn't find it in a
quick search) but is it possible you have an old version?

--
Kevin Brosius