gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 9 Dec 2000 23:07:48 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 07:16:31PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> 	Not for laptops it's not :(.   And that's where you'll find
> the largest use of encrypted file systems (or similar tools) on other
> OS platforms.  The second largest use is probably individuals
> wanting/needing to keep personal files on their employers equipment,
> but not wanting them to be able to access it.

Um, beyond my RSA key (which is specific to my laptop, removable
from my authorized_keys files on the machines where it exists should
my laptop grow legs, and has a 32 character passphrase anyway),
there's nothing I'd be worried about losing on my laptop. (Well,
besides the cost of the laptop itself, but that's what the police
are there for.)

Machines that can be moved without a car are inherently unsafe, so
don't store anything important on them. That's what ssh sessions
over 128-bit encrypted, IEEE 802.11b connections are for.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net