Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:57:48 -0500

[PLUG] Kernel build problems with NTFS?

Title: Kernel build problems with NTFS?

Has anyone rebuilt the kernel to add support for other file systems?
Over the weekend I was trying to get NTFS support enabled in the 2.2.16.22
kernel that ships with Redhat 7.0 respin CD. It's my first time building the kernel
so it is entirely possible I screwed up but I don't think I did.

I ran make xconfig in the /usr/src/linux dir. Selected Y for NTFS read only support.
Did make clean; make dep; make bzImage; cp bzImage to /boot partition below 1023.
Ran lilo -v to update lilo. Put RO mount in /etc/fstab for NTFS partition. Then I rebooted
I got errors when the init tried to mount the NTFS partition. After several iterations around
this loop I started to investigate. My .config had the line CONFIG_NTFS_FS as it should.
Using nm I could determine that vmlinux build had no ntfs symbols in it. The file filesystem.a
had all of the the ntfs symbols in it. So I focused on filesystem.c which seems to be the
mechanism that pulls in the objects from filesystem.a by calling the init functions.

In the end I had to manually insert a #define CONFIG_NTFS_FS in filesystem.c to get the
ntfs init function to be called. There is a header file included config.h that brings in another
header autoconfig.h that was undefining CONFIG_NTFS_FS. Does anyone have any experience
with this? Or have an idea where I may have gone wrong. I was able to get the NTFS partition
mounted but the hackiness of my solution bothers me.