Kevin Falcone on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:07:40 -0500

[PLUG] Re: Anybody backported USB support to 2.2.16-3?

  ML> I guess I need a symbol table, specifically from my 2.2.18
  ML> compile? But where is it?

You need to copy the System.map from /usr/src/linux to /boot
I usually keep them numbered according to version and symlink them,
although modern kernels are supposed to be able to look for
System.map-version, so, from my /boot

System.map -> System.map-2.2.18-pre24
System.map-2.2.18-pre17
System.map-2.2.18-pre24
vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre24
vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre17
vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre24
vmlinuz-safe -> vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre17

  ML> Dec 11 02:27:03 dude modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
  ML> Never saw this error before. But previously, I was using the
  ML> EMU401K module (the sound module for a Live!) that came with
  ML> RedHat 6.2. I need some alias commands in modules.conf, I guess?

you did do make modules_install, right?
If so, then yes, you need some aliases, but I'm not sure which ones to
add.

-kevin

--
Coffee without caffeine is like a kiss on the forehead -- Paul Harvey