Mike Leone on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:47:57 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Anybody backported USB support to 2.2.16-3?

>   ML> I guess I need a symbol table, specifically from my 2.2.18
>   ML> compile? But where is it?
>
> You need to copy the System.map from /usr/src/linux to /boot
> I usually keep them numbered according to version and symlink them,
> although modern kernels are supposed to be able to look for
> System.map-version, so, from my /boot
>
> System.map -> System.map-2.2.18-pre24
> System.map-2.2.18-pre17
> System.map-2.2.18-pre24
> vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre24
> vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre17
> vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre24
> vmlinuz-safe -> vmlinuz-2.2.18-pre17

Ok; I'll try copying that file.

>   ML> Dec 11 02:27:03 dude modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
>   ML> Never saw this error before. But previously, I was using the
>   ML> EMU401K module (the sound module for a Live!) that came with
>   ML> RedHat 6.2. I need some alias commands in modules.conf, I guess?
>
> you did do make modules_install, right?
> If so, then yes, you need some aliases, but I'm not sure which ones to
> add.

Yes, I did a modules_install. And yes, it successfully created a new version of the emu401k.o module. I did
save a copy of the old module. Maybe I'll try loading it; it never complained about those aliases.

Dunno if it's kernel-version sensitive, tho.

Thanks.